Pressure is key
Tire maintenance tips
- Check your tire pressure monthly. Underinflated tires increase fuel consumption. Overinflated tires have less grip.
How to drive to reduce fuel consumption:
Maintain proper air pressure
Underinflated tires are one of the biggest causes of using excess fuel in the world. The American Automobile Agency has stated that operating a vehicle with underinflated tires can result in a 25% reduction in fuel economy.
Select low rolling resistance tires
The lower the rolling resistance, the less effort from your engine, the better the gas mileage. Some additional tips:
- Drive at a constant speed, avoiding rapid stops and starts.
- Turn off the engine when the car is at a standstill, for example in a traffic jam or at a railroad crossing, if it is safe to do so.
- Drive light. Extra weight increases fuel consumption and polluting emissions.
- Remove unused accessories like roof racks and luggage carriers, which create aerodynamic drag.
Want to learn more about sustainability and MICHELIN?
Choosing your tires:
- Choose tires that have “fuel economy” as one of their main performance characteristics.
- Tires that have “traction” as their main characteristic will often have reduced fuel economy; winter tires and tires for heavier vehicles such as SUV and light trucks might not be the most fuel-efficient.
Tips for Driving at Night, in Fog, on Highways, & More
In search of tips for driving in difficult conditions? Michelin has tips for driving at night, tips for driving in fog, and safe driving tips for mountain areas.
Driving At Night
Driving at night presents its own challenges, including visibility. Learn how to drive safely at night with tips from Michelin.
Driving in Fog
Driving in fog can be difficult and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips to drive safely even when visibility is poor. Learn more.
Driving in High Winds
Driving in high winds can be scary and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely when it is windy out. Learn more here.
Driving in Snow
Driving in snow and on ice can be scary and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely in winter conditions. Learn more here.
Driving in Mud
Driving in the mud can be difficult. Michelin offers several tips to drive safely and keep control of your vehicle in mud. Learn more.
Driving on the Highway
Driving on the highway can be intimidating and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely when on the highway. Learn more here.
Driving in the Mountains
Driving in the mountains can be tricky and dangerous if you are not careful. Learn how to drive safely in the mountains with tips from Michelin.
Getting Your Car Ready for Winter
Wondering how to prep your car for winter? Michelin can help you get your car ready for those winter months - learn about air pressure, winter tires, and more.
There are many safety precautions drivers should take while on the road - fatigue driving is one of them. Driving while tired can be dangerous. Learn how to drive safely when tired.
Safety Precautions While Driving
Stay safe on the road with essential safety precautions for driving. Get expert advice from Michelin on how to prepare for any driving situation.