- Prior to setting off, check your brakes; test them and check the brake fluid.
- Carry the tools necessary in case you break down.
- Check the condition of your spare tire: the appropriate pressure is especially important.
- Carry extra food, appropriate clothing and emergency aids.
- Check the weather and road conditions in the mountain area and choose your route wisely.
- Tell at least one other person where and when you are traveling and when you are due back so they can alert emergency services If you don't return on time.
- Blow your horn in advance if your view is blocked during cornering.
- Drive carefully and slow down in turns, especially when your view is blocked.
- Never speed or pass in sharp turns where you may not see oncoming vehicles.
Tips for Driving at Night, in Fog, on Highways, & More
In search of tips for driving in difficult conditions? Michelin has tips for driving at night, tips for driving in fog, and safe driving tips for mountain areas.
Driving At Night
Driving at night presents its own challenges, including visibility. Learn how to drive safely at night with tips from Michelin.
Driving in Fog
Driving in fog can be difficult and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips to drive safely even when visibility is poor. Learn more.
Driving in High Winds
Driving in high winds can be scary and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely when it is windy out. Learn more here.
Driving in Snow
Driving in snow and on ice can be scary and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely in winter conditions. Learn more here.
Driving in Mud
Driving in the mud can be difficult. Michelin offers several tips to drive safely and keep control of your vehicle in mud. Learn more.
Driving on the Highway
Driving on the highway can be intimidating and dangerous. Michelin offers many tips on how to drive safely when on the highway. Learn more here.
Getting Your Car Ready for Winter
Wondering how to prep your car for winter? Michelin can help you get your car ready for those winter months - learn about air pressure, winter tires, and more.
There are many safety precautions drivers should take while on the road - fatigue driving is one of them. Driving while tired can be dangerous. Learn how to drive safely when tired.
Safety Precautions While Driving
Stay safe on the road with essential safety precautions for driving. Get expert advice from Michelin on how to prepare for any driving situation.
Road Trip Tips
Get prepared for your next road trip with tips from the tire experts at Michelin. Use our road trip tips and our road trip checklist to make sure that you won't get derailed.