- Drive with two hands. Always.
- Before turning, slow down while traveling in a straight line.
- While turning, maintain a slow and regular speed. If you accelerate suddenly, your tires could lose traction.
- While turning, don’t make any sudden steering wheel movements.
- Only brake in a straight line before the turn, and do so gradually. Do not brake during the turn.
- Increase your following distance from other cars significantly.
- If your wheels lock and slide, release the brake pedal to recover traction, then slowly brake again.
- Try to avoid changing lanes in slush. It’s safer to change lanes when slush is not on the road.
- If using chains, check for proper clearance between the tire and the vehicle, as well as the clearance between dual tires.
Want to learn more on winter conditions?