Michelin is committed to protecting your personal information and being clear and transparent about what information we collect and how we will use it. This policy explains how any personal information we collect when you use our website or digital services, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
Please read the following policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
- Who we are and how we can be contacted
- About our Data Privacy Officer
- Other policies you should read
- Information we may collect from you
- Marketing Communication
- Information we collect about you from other places
- Where we store your personal information
- Sharing your personal information
- International transfers
- How long will personal information be kept by us
- Your rights under data protection legislation
- What you can do if you’re not happy with how we use you information
- About Data Security
Who we are and how we can be contacted
Our full company name is Michelin North America, Inc. (“Michelin”).
If you need to contact us you have a number of options, you can:
- You can send us a letter addressed to: Michelin Privacy Officer, One Parkway South, Greenville, SC 29615.
- You can also contact us using our contact form on our website
The information set out in this policy is applicable to the following websites:
About our Data Privacy Officer
While everyone at Michelin is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, we have a Data Privacy Officer who deals with all aspect of personal data at Michelin. You can contact our Data Privacy Officer by sending an email to Privacy.AMN@michelin.com.
Other policies and information we encourage you to read
Terms of Sale
The Terms and Conditions of Sale (the "Agreement") are the entire agreement between you and Michelin North America, Inc., a New York corporation with offices at 1 Parkway S. Greenville, SC 29615 USA ("Michelin"), and Group O, Inc. ("Group O"), for your purchase of Michelin products ("Products") and services ("Services") from www.michelinman.com.
Our site may contain links to and from our websites and digital platforms of our partner networks, advertisers, affiliates and social media pages. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
Information we may collect from you
This section sets out:
- how we collect your personal information;
- the categories of data that we collect;
- a description of how we plan to use the information we collect;
- the legal basis that we will rely on to process information collected;
- how long we will hold the information collected; and
- specific types of data
Retention of information varies depending on the purpose/activity for which the information is being provided or used and is deleted according to retention policies at end of the program. We may collect and hold the following information about you:
Type of Data
Lawful basis for processing
Information you give to us when you enter a competition or promotion (“Competition Data”).
To enable us to send you further information about the competition or a prize if you are the competition winner. Unless we state otherwise when we collect your information, we will only use this information for managing and administer the competitions or promotions.
Competition Data might include, for example, your name and e-mail address.
If you win a prize we may request your full address to enable us to send you your prize.
The performance of an agreement between you and us to enter the competition or promotion.
Information you provide to us when you complete a survey or respond to a questionnaire or submit a review or feedback (“Review Data”).
To collect information about a specific matter, for example, our services to you or reviews of our products/services.
In many cases surveys, and questionnaires are anonymous and we only collect personal information for statistical data. If this is not the case, we will let you know at the time of collecting the information. If such functionality is available, feedback and reviews may be disclosed on the Website with some personal information. In such case, you will be informed.
Information may include your full name, your email address and other personal data requested.
As the legal basis for processing Review Data, we will use our legitimate interests in the monitoring and improvement of our products and services to our customers and users and in the sharing of customer experience with web users.
If you register for any of our digital products or services via an account we will request information to enable us to identify you and provide the products and services to you (“Account Data”).
Account Data will be processed for the purpose of operating our websites, providing digital services you sign up for, communicating with you about those digital products and services and maintaining back-ups of our services.
Account Data will include your full name and email address. We may also ask you to set a password so you can securely log on to your account.
The performance of the agreement between you and us for the provision of the digital product and services is the legal basis for processing Account Data.
Information you provide us when using location services, for example our dealer locator (“Location Data”).
This information is used to identify dealers in that surrounding location.
The performance of the agreement between you and us for the provision of the digital product and services is the legal basis for processing Location Data.
Information you provide us when you communicate with us, e.g. by email, contact us form via our websites, or through the live chat function on our website (“Communication Data”).
This information is used to enable us to respond to or follow up on your comments, queries or questions.
Information may include your full name, your email address and other personal data you provide us to enable us to deal with your communication.
We will use our legitimate interests in assisting you and answering your communications as the legal basis for processing Communication Data.
If you request further information from us by signing up to receive any of our newsletters or marketing communications (“Marketing Data”). For further details, see section 6 below.
Marketing Data is processed for the purposes of sending you the relevant notifications and/or newsletters and/or any marketing communication.
We will ask you for your name and email address so we can send you these information.
The legal basis for this processing is consent.
When you provide us information (for example, the information set out in the scenarios above), in some cases we may ask you for additional, voluntary information. This information will be identified as optional and is used to help us better understand our customers and tailor our services to them.
Data Management Platform Information
Michelin provides its Business Partners with technologies that enable the serving and display of relevant advertisements to individuals who access a publisher’s website, mobile app, or other online content. Michelin’s technology also helps its Business Partners collect and manage the data generated by such advertisements as well as data that its Business Partners may already have and data that they collect regarding visitors to their digital properties, including websites and mobile applications.
Michelin advertising technology also offers data management services to Business Partners via its data management platform (“DMP”). The Michelin DMP enables its Business Partners to collect, store and analyze non-PII about their audiences. Michelin’s Business Partners may use DMP and data collection tools to develop and name custom data segments.
Michelin’s advertising technology collects and/or uses only non-PII, including: information about the device and its IP address; the browser or application used; which and how many, Business Partner web pages have been viewed by a browser or application; search terms entered on business partner websites; referring and exit pages; the date and time an advertisement was viewed; precise geolocation data from third parties; location data; browser or device-specific identifiers (such as mobile device advertising identifiers or your browser’s user agent string); and other similar information. In certain instances, Michelin may collect and match this non-PII across devices, browsers, or applications through deterministic methods or statistical correlation for the purposes of identifying devices, browsers, or applications belonging to the same user and providing more relevant advertising. Michelin also obtains non-PII from third party data vendors that receive such non-PII pursuant to their own privacy policies.
We use a third party we engage to track and analyze usage and browsing patterns of our users. For information about this third party’s information practices, click here https://www.michelinman.com/termsofUse.html.
We also collect and use aggregated data such as statistical or demographic data (“Aggregated Data”). Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal information but does not reveal your identity in any way. For example, we may aggregate your Usage and Device Data to calculate the percentage of our website users accessing a specific feature of our website. Aggregated Data is used for our own business purposes only.
Sensitive Personal Information
While we do not request sensitive personal data, we do have sections on our websites where you can submit additional information, for example, when you submit a review. If you submit information on these free text sections, only submit information you are comfortable providing and always bear in mind that it may be sensitive information. If you submit reviews or feedback for our website, please remember that this information will be visible to other users of our website.
Children and Personal Information
This website is not intended for use by children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children. If we become aware that we are holding any information about children under the age of 13, we will take any actions necessary to comply with data protection legislation, including if appropriate, deleting the information. If you become aware that your child (under 13) has provided their personal information to us, without your consent, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing Privacy.AMN@michelin.com so that we can take appropriate action.
You will receive marketing communications or newsletters from us only (i) if you wish it, (ii) if you are one of our customers, provided that this communication will concern similar products or services or if (iii) this communication is linked to your business activity.
In this context, we will use the information you provide us, usually just your name and email address.
In any case, you can unsubscribe or make stop direct marketing from us at any time either
- by clicking on the unsubscribe option at the bottom of each marketing communication we send to you; and
- by contacting us by email or letter using any of the contact details set out in this notice.
We will generally send you marketing communications until you choose to unsubscribe from receiving them. However, if we have not heard from you for a while or notice that you have not opened our emails in a period of 3 years, we will remove your details from our database. There’s nothing stopping you for subscribing again at any time.
From time to time we may also use your Usage and Device Data to make online suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you. This is necessary for the legitimate interest of our business in developing our products and services and growing our business.
Information we collect about you from other places
To enable us to provide you with our services, we may receive personal information about you from other sources, including:
- We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other products and/or services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment services, analytics providers, search information providers and credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them. The legal basis for his processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website, products and services.
- Information from our web servers’ logs, for example information about your computer, such as your IP address, operating system and browser type. We may also collect information on the searches you carry out on our website and your interaction with communications we send you, for example, when you open email communications. (“Usage and Device Data”). This information is used by us for system administration and to analyse how people are using our websites and digital platforms. It also helps us to provide the best online infrastructure for your online activities. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website, products and services.
- Retargeting and Interest-Based Advertising. We use third-party advertising companies to place ads on other websites. These companies may use non-identified information about your visits to our site and other websites in order to measure advertising effectiveness and to provide advertisements about our goods and services that may be of interest to you. Like most advertisers, we place advertisements where we think they will be most relevant to customers. One way we do this is by allowing network advertising companies with whom we work to place their own cookies when an individual visits our website. The enables the network advertising company to recognize individuals who have previously visited our website. When the individual visits a third-party website on which that network advertising company has purchased space, the advertising company can then recognize the individual’s interest in our products and services and deliver one of our advertisements. Some of our websites use two Google Analytics Advertising Display Features, which collect information through cookies: Remarketing with Google Analytics and Demographics and Interests reporting. If you would like to opt-out of having your data used by the cookies, please use the Google Analytics opt-out available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/. The Digital Advertising Alliance maintains a website where consumers can opt-out from receiving interest-based advertising from some or all of the network advertising companies participating in the program (AboutAds.info/choices).
- Our website may enable you to share your experience and connect with us through third party social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. We may collect this information from our social media sites, including likes, shares and tweets, and about the content on social networking sites. We do not control the privacy of the information you provide on social media networks and the privacy policies of those social media networks will apply when using their services.
- Information we find about you from other reputable information sources. This information will be collected from publically available records.
Security of your personal information
While we are committed to keeping your personal information secure, the transmission of information online via the internet is not completely secure. We, together with our service providers will do our best to protect your personal information but information provided is at your sole risk.
Sharing your personal information
We only share your personal data with people who have a need to know such information to perform their responsibilities. We may share your personal information with the following:
- Within the Michelin Group - we may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries to the extent necessary for the same purposes of the initial processing set out in this policy.
- Service Providers - Michelin may share your personal information with selected service providers that Michelin may use to process your request or provide its services to you. These service providers act as data processors on our behalf and provide IT and system administration services, such as hosting and email services and managing the ratings and reviews.
These service providers are legally obligated to keep the personal information they may have received confidential and secure and to use your personal information the basis of our instructions only.
We may also share your personal information with third parties:
- For legal reasons
If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Michelin Group, our customers, or others. In this context, we may disclose your personal information to our professional advisors who are under a duty of confidentiality.
- On the basis of your consent
International Transfers of Personal Data
Michelin is an international group with databases in the various countries in which it operates. Michelin may transfer your personal data within the group to one of its databases or to its external partners located outside of your home country.
As levels of data protection vary worldwide, we do not transmit your personal data to Michelin group companies or to third-party companies outside of the European Union unless these companies offer the same or similar level of personal data protection as Michelin.
How long will personal information be kept by us?
As a rule, we will not hold your personal information for any purpose or purposes for longer than is necessary to fulfill the purposes we collect it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. For more specific retention periods, please see section 5 above.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your rights under data protection legislation
Data protection rights vary by jurisdiction. Michelin strives to comply with all data protection laws, and takes these requirements seriously. You may have certain rights by virtue of your residency or citizenship. It is recommended that you contact your local governmental organization to learn more.
What can you do if you’re not happy
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. However, if you’re not happy with how we collect or process your information or just want some further information on your rights, you can contact us in the following ways:
- You can email us at AMN@michelin.com.
- You can send us a letter addressed to: Michelin Privacy Officer, One Parkway South, Greenville, SC 29615
- You can also contact us using our contact form on our website (https://www.michelinman.com/contactus)
We will work with you to resolve any issues you may have and aim to answer any question raised by you as soon as possible.
About Data Security
Michelin has implemented measures to protect the privacy, security and integrity of your personal data. Access to personal data is restricted to those employees and service providers who need to know this information and who have been trained to comply with rules on confidentiality.
On Michelin's commercial sites, banking information will be collected for the purposes of effective, legal secure payment processes. These measures may consist of SSL encryption (intended to make the data unreadable to others) during the collection or transfer of confidential data. Said information will be used only for purposes of online payment and will not be retained.
Michelin ensures that your personal data are not altered, damaged or accessed by unauthorized third parties.
We may change our policy from time to time. Any changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page. If you have an online account with us, we may notify you of any changes by email or through your account the next time you log on.